Learn Emerging respiratory viruses, including COVID-19: methods for detection, prevention, response and control with this free online course from the World Health Organization. Earn a free certificate!
Course description – Emerging respiratory viruses, including COVID-19
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
A novel coronavirus (COVID-19) was identified in 2019 in Wuhan, China. This is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans.
This course provides a general introduction to COVID-19 and emerging respiratory viruses and is intended for public health professionals, incident managers and personnel working for the United Nations, international organizations and NGOs.
As the official disease name was established after material creation, any mention of nCoV refers to COVID-19, the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus.
This course provides a general introduction to emerging respiratory viruses, including novel coronaviruses. By the end of this course, you should be able to describe:
- The nature of emerging respiratory viruses, how to detect and assess an outbreak, strategies for preventing and controlling outbreaks due to novel respiratory viruses;
- What strategies should be used to communicate risk and engage communities to detect, prevent and respond to the emergence of a novel respiratory virus.
There are resources attached to each module to help you dive further into this topic.
Learning objective: Describe the fundamental principles of emerging respiratory viruses and how to effectively respond to an outbreak.
Certificates: A Record of Achievement certificate will be available to participants who score at least 80% of the total points available across all of the quizzes.
- Introduction to Emerging respiratory viruses, including COVID-19
- Detecting Emerging respiratory viruses, including COVID-19: Surveillance and laboratory investigation
- Risk communication and community engagement
- Preventing and responding to an emerging respiratory virus, including COVID-19
Course Details: Emerging respiratory viruses, including COVID-19