An overview of the ideas, methods, and institutions that permit human society to manage risks and foster enterprise. Emphasis on financially-savvy leadership skills.
Do you want to learn Financial Markets? This free online course from Yale University is for you.
Course description: Financial Markets
An overview of the ideas, methods, and institutions that permit human society to manage risks and foster enterprise. Emphasis on financially-savvy leadership skills. Description of practices today and analysis of prospects for the future. Introduction to risk management and behavioral finance principles to understand the real-world functioning of securities, insurance, and banking industries. The ultimate goal of this course is using such industries effectively and towards a better society.
- Introduction and what this course will do for you and your purposes
- Risk and financial crises
- Technology and invention in finance
- Portfolio diversification and supporting financial institutions
- Insurance, the archetypal risk management institution: its opportunities and vulnerabilities
- Guest speaker: David Swensen
- Efficient markets
- Theory of debt, its proper role, leverage cycles
- Corporate stocks
- Real estate
- Behavioral finance and the role of psychology
- Misbehavior, crises, regulation and self regulation
- Forward and futures markets
- Options markets
- Monetary policy
- Investment banks
- Professional money managers and their influence
- Exchanges, brokers, dealers, clearinghouses
- Public and non-profit finance
- Finding your purpose in a world of financial capitalism