Introduction to Dutch
Learn to speak, write and understand basic Dutch, with this free, three-week, introductory foreign language course.
Are you planning to visit, or work or study in the Netherlands soon? This free online course from the University of Groningen is perfect if you have little or no prior knowledge of Dutch, but would like to master the fundamentals in order to survive life in the Low Countries.
Dutch course description
During the course, you will learn Dutch phrases, greetings, vocabulary, numbers, spelling and grammar. Being able to understand the language will make everyday activities, such as shopping or going out to a restaurant, much more enjoyable.
By the end of the course, you will be able to recognise familiar words and phrases about yourself and your family. You will be taught to use simple sentences to describe where you live and the people you know.
Finally, you will be able to write short texts such as an email or fill in forms with personal details. The main focus will be on receptive skills such as reading and listening.
The course will run over three weeks, helping you to:
- introduce yourself and get to know other learners
- talk about your family, friends, work and study
- and experience life in the Netherlands.
Dutch course content
- Reading and listening to dialogues about work, study, hobbies, eating, drinking, living, weather and the time
- Understanding the grammar around the conjugation of verbs, word order, personal pronouns, adjectives, modal verbs and making questions
- Writing and speaking assignments including introducing oneself and speaking about eating and living
- Introduction to Dutch culture