Mountains 101 is a 12-lesson MOOC teaching a comprehensive overview of Mountain Studies. Mountains 101 will cover an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world.
Interested in learning mountains? This free online course from the University of Alberta is the best place to start.
Course description – Mountains 101
This free course will provide students with a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world.
- We’ll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time.
- We’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally.
- We’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time.
- We’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate.
We’ll also share general tips and tricks to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment.
- Why Mountains Matter
- Bodies at Altitude
- Water Towers
- Mountain Biodiversity and Adaptations of Plants
- Animal Adaptations
- Use and Preservation
- Future Mountains