International Rescue Committe hiring: Deputy Director of Programmes – Burkina Faso.
Throughout 2019, non-state armed groups have consolidated their presence in northern areas of Burkina Faso, perpetrating an increasing number of violent acts, and compounding already tense dynamics in the region. At the same time, ethnic and community violence has risen and interfaced with actions from radical groups and military responses, further exacerbating the situation and resulting in significant population movement and humanitarian needs.
In response to growing needs, the IRC deployed the emergency response team, opened a country office and launched humanitarian assistance programming in April, 2019. The IRC currently has one field base in the Sahel region in addition to the administrative office in Ouagadougu, and is looking to expand in programme scale, scope and geographic support over the coming months. The DDP will play a key role in move forward on programmatic strategies, securing the necessary resources, and ensuring programme quality during these initial phases.
SCOPE OF WORK:
As a senior member of the country team, the Deputy Director for Programs will have overall responsibility to supervise, support, enhance quality, coherence, impact, sustainability and synergy of IRC Burkina Faso’s integrated programming in:
- Health/ Nutrition
- Environmental Health/ WASH
- Child Protection
- Economic Recovery and Development
The Deputy Director for Programs will be based in Ouagadougou and required to travel to the field/region as needed. S/he will develop and disseminate a vision of program evolution and quality with the Country Director and the Sector leads through playing a leading role in the oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and development of the sectoral strategies and the country Strategic Action Plan (SAP), building off the phased emergency program strategy.
In the absence of the Country Director, he / she may be called upon to assume the role of Acting Country Director.
Reports to: Country Director
- With guidance from the Country Director, lead the planning, development, implementation of IRC program initiatives with sector coordinators, in accordance with the strategic plans and liaison with IRC’s Technical Units for technical guidance on implementation and new program design.
- Under the supervision of the Country Director, ensure effective and timely implementation of programmatic objectives of the SAP and its regular reviews.
- Participate actively in and contribute to strategic meetings and initiatives of the humanitarian and development community in IRC’s interest, e.g. technical working groups, donor meetings, etc.
- Maintain an up-to-date contextual analysis to ensure pertinence of all programming
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support on program quality tools and initiatives
- Identify assessement needs and opportunities with technical coordinators and provide guidance on the design and implementation of assessments and evaluations, including their reports
- Organize and chair regular program coordination meetings with relevant staff;
- Conduct training of IRC staff on program design, monitoring, and evaluation, report writing, and proposal development.
- Coordinate the development, formulation and writing of project ideas, concept notes and proposals in collaboration and coordination with country and regional technical teams.
- Support programs to initiate and build partnerships with local partners in line with IRC guidance
- As security permits, conduct regular visits to program sites to monitor program quality and provide action-oriented feedback and recommendations
- Create opportunities for learning lessons from existing programs and their application
- Ensure the highest quality of design for all proposals with the support of the Grant department
- formulate and develop actions that promote beneficiary participation and beneficiary feed-backs.
- Ensure effective and timely implementation of programmatic objectives of grants
- Work with the senior management team to develop operational budgets, which reflect a detailed understanding of situational parameters, beneficiary needs, available resources and technical possibilities;
- Assist Sector Coordinators to develop and maintain monitoring plans, work plans, spending plans, staffing plans, etc. in collaboration with Operations, Finance and Grants.
- Work closely with the Grants Senior Manager and support sector coordinators to hold efficient and effective Opening, Review, and Grants Closing Meetings
- Support sector coordinators in the monthly review of Budget vs. Actuals reports
- In collaboration with the Grants Senior Manager and sector coordinators ensure that quality donor reports are generated and submitted to donors and headquarters in a timely manner. Oversee budget re-alignments and amendments when necessary;
- Support and promote adherence to finance controls for program expenditures in accordance with IRC Global and Burkina Faso policies and procedures;
- Provide on-going problem-solving guidance for field offices regarding programmatic issues, planning issues, and difficulties encounters with local authorities and Partners;
- Ensure a close coordination and collaboration with the Deputy Director of Operations to ensure an adequate synergy between programs and operations;
Human Resources Management
- Provide excellent line management of Sector coordinators, Grant Senior Manager and Monitoring and Evaluation team, including setting objectives and work plans, and carrying out regular coaching as well as periodic evaluations.
- Ensure that the Program team is consistent and that colleagues work in good collaboration with each other, with an excellent understanding of mutual expectations; and that support for field teams is prioritized
- Working closely with Human Resources and Sector coordinators, oversee recruitment of all senior program staff and ensure the Performance Management System for program staff is carried out as required;
- Represent IRC and IRC’s interests with Government officials, donors, UN, and other operating and implementing partners when required or applicable;
- Assist the CD in developing a strong relationship with donors to ensure sustainable funding of programs;
- Represent IRC in lieu of the Country Director as necessary
- Support sector coordinators in their representation roles in technical meetings
- Other activities/responsibilities that may be required by the CD, the DRD and indicated HQ program related staff.
- Master’s degree in Program Management and / or in a field related to the position
- At least seven years of international experience with required experience in an emergency or conflict-afflicted setting.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in program design and delivery, including proposal development and compliance in emergency settings.
- Experience working in new country office set up, strongly desired
- Proven capacity in staff management, multi-tasking, time management and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Must be an innovative and creative problem solver, and a team player, with experience working with multi-cultural teams.
- Fluent in French and English
- Ability to work under pressure and with heavy workload.
- Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to quickly understand the complexities of the operating context, IRC models / systems / processes / tools; organizational structures and decision-making processes
- Good understanding of security / emergency management to ensure staff safety, minimize risk and maintain business continuity;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Willingness to travel in the field and work in sometimes remote corners and / or with relative safety and minimal living conditions.
- Prior experience with working in Burkina Faso/WA region and/or with IRC preferred
- This position is based in Ouagadougou and will be unaccompanied during the initial start-up/stabilization phases, with the possibility of review within the first year based on security levels and funding availability.
- Housing will initially be in shared IRC accomodations during start-up phases
- Security level: Orange, but stable in Ouagadougou. All international staff of IRC Burkina Faso must comply with the rules and policies in place for security.
Application deadline: 31 Dec 2019