FAO hiring: Finance Officer in Santiago, Chile
The Finance Division recommends and administers financial policies and procedures that meet the highest professional standards; keeps accounts that accurately record financial activities and meet the requirements of internal and external audits; prepares reports to accurately portray the financial status of the Organization and its activities; ensures that the Organization’s financial resources are securely kept and productively employed while in FAO’s custody; oversees financial operations wherever performed in the Organization; and ensures that all disbursements are timely and made in accordance with established policies and procedures.
This post, while part of the headquarters-based Finance Division (CSF) will be based in the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, Santiago, Chile. The function contributes to capacity building and provides operational and financial risk mitigation support to Decentralized Offices.
The Finance Officer reports to the Senior Finance Officer, leading the Global Financial Management Group.
Collection and analysis of financial information to support the delivery of various financial services/activities.
Financial services and related assistance in accordance with internal policies, UN financial guidelines and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Provides financial reporting, general accounting, project accounting, and/or investment related services in accordance with FAO policies and regulatory framework.
- Collects and analyses financial information for inclusion in statutory and/or management reports, financial statements, and/or reports to donors as well as specific reports for Governing Bodies, donors and other partners.
- Contributes to updating financial policies and related tools, systems, technologies and related procedures.
- Responds to requests for assistance from managers and staff at headquarters and the Decentralized Offices.
- Exchanges and/or provides information to banks, other financial institutions, donors and partners and provides information/clarification to auditors.
- Participates in the development of training and related training materials and promotes best practices and capacity development at headquarters and the Decentralized Offices.
- Participates in Finance Division teams, leads working groups, and/or collaborates with other departments on short-term assignments.
- Monitors adherence to financial policies in Decentralized Offices, highlighting any risks and suggesting mitigating factors to local teams as well as senior management;
- Provides functional support and training to Decentralized Offices in the region on best financial practices and usage of ERP system, Oracle;
- Prepares analysis of financial practices in Decentralized Offices for senior management;
- Recommends improvements to ERP systems to better support operational requirements in Decentralized Offices;
- Provides support to upgrades of financial modules of ERP systems;
- Supports daily financial operations of Regional Offices as required.
- Advanced university degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field.
- Five years relevant experience in finance and/or accounting.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and limited knowledge of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationship
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Technical/Functional Skills
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Knowledge of Oracle Financials is considered a strong asset;
- Extent and relevance of experience in accounting and in managing financial functions;
- Demonstrated knowledge of IPSAS or equivalent internationally accepted accounting standards;
- Working knowledge of English is highly desirable
Application deadline: 2020-03-05