WFP hiring: Temporary Security Guard Roster
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to replenish our roster of locally recruited Security Guards.
WFP employs local persons, residing in Rome, who are interested in temporary and short term security guard assignments, up to 11 months, at their Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The incumbent will report directly to the HQ Security Chief and will be expected to control entry to WFP premises to ensure security and safety of staff, premises and property in compliance with WFP security and safety procedures
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Security Guard training is an advantage.
- Working knowledge (proficiency/fluency) of English.
- Working knowledge (proficiency/fluency) of Italian.
Experience: Two or more years of security related experience.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Good knowledge of essential security procedures and requirements.
• Ability to detect and identify dangerous objects and knowledge of how to deal with such objects.
• Ability to use fire equipment, metal detectors and other equipment.
• Ability to remain calm in emergency situations.
• Ability to provide immediate intervention and assistance in case of fire or other emergencies.
• High sense of responsibility and alertness; emotional stability and neatness.
• Physical fitness on duty and training in self-defense techniques.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Courtesy, tact and the ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Good knowledge of the city where the office is located.
• Willingness to attend security trainings and comply with UNSMS standards.
Job description (not all-inclusive)
1. Monitor and control entry to WFP premises including screening persons and belongings, and issuing building passes, to ensure accurate accounting of staff and visitors’ on WFP premises.
2. Conduct regular and accurate checks of premises, and maintain continuous surveillance against fire, water leakage, deposit of dangerous objects or any other actions that may cause damage to WFP premises or injury to staff, to ensure compliance with safety procedures.
3. Report on any incidents or actions that involve a breach of security procedures to the supervisor, to ensure prompt actions are taken following established security procedures.
4. In case of incident/emergency, immediately use communications systems to alert a supervisor and/or liaise as necessary with the local administration, police authorities, fire services and other emergency services, to ensure required support is provided in a timely manner.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Only candidates who have been shortlisted for further consideration will be contacted by WFP.
Application deadline: 2020-03-31