Website UN Women
UN Women hiring: Driver in Kampala, Uganda.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women staff and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the Driver will also be required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Country Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission. The Driver will provide basic administrative and clerical support to the UN Women Country Office (CO) and field offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide reliable and secure driving services
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel;
- Deliver and collect mail, documents and other items to Government – Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/ UN Offices;
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport, including visa and customs formalities arrangements when required;
- Verify that all passengers wear seatbelts at all times in the vehicle;
- Ensure all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Ensure vehicle comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
2. Provide proper use of vehicle
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs;
- Provide inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3.Provide day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that the official vehicle is kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
4. Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
5. Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payments of bills, as required.
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time;
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle;
- Timely inputs to logs and records.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent driving skills;
- Good knowledge of driving rules and regulations, local roads and conditions;
- Good defensive driving skills;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Ability to be on time.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of Ordinary level of education is required;
- Possession of valid driver’s license classes B, CM and DL is required.
- At least 2 years of experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system;
- Experience driving high profile dignitaries;
- History of a safe driving record;
- Experience driving a 4X4 vehicles in rough terrain.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in Uganda is an asset.
Application deadline: 2020-04-18