Website UN Women
UN Women Internship in NYC: Communications Intern
UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
As a standard-setting organization, the United Nations has a particular responsibility to lead by example in ensuring the equal and active participation of women at all levels of the UN system. This is also necessary for integrating a gender perspective into UN policies and programmes. UN Women is mandated to lead, coordinate and promote the accountability of the UN system for women’s equal representation.
Unit/ Project Background:
The Office of the Focal Point for Women in the UN System at UN-Women/Gender Parity Team (hereafter Gender Parity Team) at UN Women Headquarters in New York is seeking a full-time Communications Intern to support the work of the Team. The mandate of the Gender Parity Team is to serve as the chief advocate for monitoring and improving the status of women across the system and assisting the UN Secretary-General in achieving the General Assembly mandated goal of 50:50 gender balance at all levels in the UN system. Leveraging from UN Women’s coordination mandate, the Gender Parity Team supports entity-specific implementation plans for gender parity system-wide, leads and coordinates the Gender Focal Point network in the UN System, and engages in gender parity related policy work. Therefore, the internship will provide an excellent insight to UN system-wide work. The Communications Intern will be responsible for drafting UN system-wide messages, reporting and content creation, including electronic and print communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Senior Adviser and Focal Point for Women in the UN System as well as other team members, the intern will assist the efforts to improve gender parity and an enabling environment within the United Nations’ System. Internship activities will include:
- Drafting UN system-wide messages, reporting and content creation, including electronic and print communications;
- Assisting in drafting and editing reports and advocacy material;
- Organizing and providing administrative and organizational assistance in relation to Gender Focal Point meetings and other related events;
- Designing communication materials such as one-pagers on topics related to gender parity;
- Supporting preparation of content for websites and social media;
- Creating video-footage for advocacy purposes;
- Assisting in mapping of best practices, researching of innovative approaches, and building databases as well as reporting (meetings) as necessary;
- Providing other general support to the Team, as requested.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Familiarity with and interest in gender equality, particularly issues related to international relations and equal representation of women and men;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing (in English), in a clear and concise manner;
- Self-starter and team player with a high sense of responsibility in order to balance multiple responsibilities and accomplish given duties on time;
- Initiative, sound judgement and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with colleagues of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: communications, media studies, gender studies and/or diplomacy or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
- All applicants must submit a completed and signed P.11 form with their application.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates.
- Successful candidate will be required to provide proof of enrollment in a valid health insurance plan at the duty station of the internship, proof of school enrollment or degree, a scanned copy of their passport/national ID and a copy of a valid visa (as applicable).
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Application deadline: 2020-03-18