UNDP Job Opportunity: Driver
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager the Driver will be based in Dushanbe with frequent travel to the project sites along the Tajik-Afghan border and to neighboring countries within the region.
Under the overall supervision of the BMP Project Manager the Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services to project’s staff and official visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver should also demonstrate a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. All duties and responsibilities will be undertaken in accordance with UNDP appropriate regulations. More specifically:
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving project vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents, supplies and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, facilitates visa and customs formalities as required;c) Be on standby during weekends when any staff or visitor leaves the city/country or arrives into the city/country;
2. Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3) Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4) Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
Logs official trips as well as long term mission trips to project areas, daily mileage, fuel consumption (ensures that petrol/diesel is available in the vehicle tank at all times), oil changes, greasing, etc., and gets signatures on the log sheets from the concerned personnel in due time.
5) Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
6) Assures own availability, especially during emergencies, by caring a portable VHF radio at all times.
Maintain radio contact at all times when on duty;
7) Ensures proper logistical support to project personnel are provided if required
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
Leadership and Self-Management
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum completed secondary school education; Valid driver’s license of B and C categories and knowledge of traffic rules and regulations, and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- At least 5 years of previous experience in working for international organization as driver with safe driving records;
- Experience with UN agencies is preferable;
- Very good navigational skills and excellent knowledge of roads and locations of the region;
- Ability to drive to remote areas with harsh road conditions in an Air-Conditioned car;
- High sense of responsibility, reliability, maturity and team spirit are important assets;
- Ability to communicate easily and effectively; efficient, and organized;
- Affinity with the mandate and role of the United Nations;
- Oral fluency in Tajik and Russian are mandatory and English languages as the working language of the organization will be a strong advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Application deadline: 2019-12-24