UNDP Job Opportunity: Executive Associate to Resident Representative (Open to Somali Nationals Only)
Under the guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Special Assistant to the Resident Representative, the Executive Associate to RR ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Executive Associate to Resident Representative works in close collaboration with the Front Office, the Programme teams as well as the Operation teams, UN Agencies and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas.
Summary of Functions
- Effective and efficient functioning of the Resident Representative’s office;
- Ensure programmatic support to the Resident Representative
- Effective communication and administrative support to the office;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the Resident Representative’s calendar liaises with the relevant sections, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls; and answer questions with discretion, act as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes. Maintenance of protocol procedures;
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions;
- Preparation of informal translations;
- Management of RR missions and representation schedule. Maintains mission plans of the Resident Representative, and coordinates travel arrangements with policy specialist, programme team and security both UNDP and UNDSS;
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of RR for his/her signature and making follow-up when required;
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the RR office;
- Arrange and participate in meetings, conferences, and other activities, with the Resident Representative when required;
- Supports the Front Office (Special Assistant, Communications Officer, Gender Adviser and Communications Assistant) in basic administrative functions including but not limited to official travel, leave management, transport arrangements, meeting arrangements, and official correspondence;
- Ensures the smooth coordination between the offices of the Deputy Resident Representatives and supports the Deputy Resident Representatives when needed by the Special Assistant or the RR.
Ensure programmatic support to the Resident Representative, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Organize, manage and prepare proposed results for meetings with government UN agencies and donors in cooperation with the policy specialist;
- Bring to the attention of the Resident Representative all matters that require the Resident Representative’s attention and ensure that appropriate follow-up is directed;
- Actively engage with Programme Staff to acquire information on substantive project development and implementation including attention to all cross-cutting issues, as and when required.
Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system;
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files. Review, route and follow up on incoming and outgoing correspondence as appropriate
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to RR;
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division;
- Draft responses to correspondence as requested by the Resident Representative, including notes to the file, or provide feedback to relevant staff for timely follow-up actions;
- Ensure that the Resident Representative’s correspondence and instruction receive prompt attention and replies and subsequently appropriate actions
- Facilitate inter-office communications between the Resident Representative and staff;
- Provide liaison specific inputs for issues that should be brought to the attention of the Resident Representative;
- Provide background material and any other executive level support for reports, speeches, and presentation by the Resident Representative, in information flow within the office in liaison with the Special Assistant, policy specialists and the Communications Officer;
- Support the Special Assistant in replying to or otherwise handling those communication that do not require the Resident Representative’s personal attention.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of specialized trainings for assistants;
- Organization of trainings to UNDP staff on administration and protocol issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the Resident Representative’s office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the Resident Representative’s office and promotes the image of UNDP Somalia as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
- Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
- Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
- Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining information and database
- Maintains effective client relationships
Job knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures:
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
Design and implantation of Management System
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems:
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathering and disseminating information
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training.
- University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Somali is a requirement
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Application deadline: 2020-02-28