WFP hiring: Administration Assistant in Harare, Zimbabwe.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Job holder reports to the Administration Officer/ Associate and the Head of Unit. At this level job holder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holder has a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided. Job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
Reporting to the Administration Officer and Head of Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for overall Administration support on operations, management and reporting and assist to coordinate and provide high quality, client-focused and value-for-money oriented administration services.
To support effective delivery and maintenance of client-focused, value-for-money oriented quality administrative practices.
Job description (not all-inclusive)
- Check the provision of a range of services, including facilities and light vehicle management, travel, protocol related, etc., maintaining information, to contribute to the provision of a safe and comfortable working environment.
- Collate and process information including dissemination to support the production of standard documents and reports for the unit, to enable decision-making and the effective management of resources.
- Manage and maintain paper and electronic records within the area of responsibility in accordance with established procedures, to ensure swift and easy data access as required.
- Undertake research and perform basic analyses of data, to contribute to the provision of accurate information and effective management of resources.
- Be a first point of contact for internal queries, to facilitate the provision of efficient and effective resolution of daily issues.
- Provide inputs to routine methods and practices in own area of work, to support the continuous improvement of services provided.
Business Support Services & Reporting
- Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights.
- Internal Controls & Risk Management
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to immediate client’s critical activities.
- Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.
- Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services
- Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services.
- Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate or degree in Business/Public Administration, or other relevant field relating to office management and administration is an added advantage.
- Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and in the local lanugage(Shona/Ndebele)
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Good computer skills, including work processing, spread sheets and other software packages
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritise.
- Good reporting and communication skills.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has demonstrated an ability to perform all routine administrative activities in line with operating standards through day to day work
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members
Terms and conditions
This vacancy is open to nationals of Zimbabwe only.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit their application via E- Recruitment attaching a signed application letter, a Curriculum Vitae and a signed Personal History Form (P11) available at http://www.unon.org/docs/P11. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the recruitment processes.
WFP DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)
Application deadline: Applicants are requested to submit their applications on or before the closing date of 7 April 2020.
Female applicants who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.